Please contact me at too_i@hotmail.com or at 903-733-5743 for speaking engagements.



Friday, May 15, 2009

Do You Believeth?

We started having a time of Scripture reading/discussion at night before bed-time. Last night during our "flamily time" (Abi's word for it) Grace asked a question. Y'all, that baby is close to making a decision to trust Christ as her Savior. She is very sensitive about Christ dying and sin right now. She asks hard questions and expects real answers! She doesn't want you to tell her, "You'll understand when you get older." She is seeking the answers to the questions that all of our souls long for, but not all of us are brave enough to ask.

The question was, "How come people believeth in God when they don't even love him?" She learned John 3:16 (King James Version) "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." Ever since then, she says believeth.

How come people believeth in God when they don't even love him? Do you hear that? How do you tell a five-almost-six year old the truth in terms she can understand? How do you tell her that you can know the truth and choose not to love? How do you tell her that just because something is right doesn't mean it comes without cost? Shawn patiently tried to answer her in words she could understand. She sat there with this confused look on her face. I was really beginning to be concerned that she would have the wrong perception of believing and loving. I wanted to tell her the truth without scaring her or worrying her. She's been so prone to tears about these kinds of topics lately.

I thought of how I would want someone to explain it to me. Quickly the Lord sent James 2:19 to my mind: "You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that -- and shutter." I thought to myself, there is no way that the demons love God. They've made it clear that their purpose is to try to destroy God's kingdom. Here was our answer.

I decided to let God answer for himself. I told Grace what the verse said. She was surprised that the Devil would even believe in God. I explained that Satan wants to be God, but he can't be and that's why he doesn't love God.

I wonder how many of us do that..."believeth" in Him, but not "loveth" Him? I explained to Grace that just because you know about God and Jesus and you know all the stories from the Bible, it doesn't mean that you are a Christian. It doesn't make you love God just to know about Him. Without the relationship there is no purpose in all the knowledge.

How 'bout you today? Do you know about God and the stories from the Scriptures? Do you know that He loves you and died in your place so you could experience eternal life? All it takes is turning that knowledge to trust. Nothing but perfection can be in heaven. Admit you cannot be good enough to go to heaven on your own. "Believeth" that Jesus is the answer to the problem. Confess to Him that He is Lord. Trust Him to be enough for you. Enough for today. For tomorrow. For eternity.

He is, you know. He is enough. Thank you, Jesus, for being willing. I don't know why you love me enough to want a relationship with me, but I thank you that you do! I'd be lost without your love.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful story. And Grace is a treasure, it doesn't take 5 minutes listening to her to realize that. Eager to hear more stories about my GREAT-nieces and GREAT-nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I enjoyed this post. I love to hear what you have to say. You just don't express it much out loud. I am really surprised at how well you are expressing yourself here. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete