Please contact me at too_i@hotmail.com or at 903-733-5743 for speaking engagements.



Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I Fear I Blew My Top

My feelings have been hurt today. Someone took it upon themselves to inform me that I am doing my children an injustice by homeschooling them. She felt she was able to make this declaration because her mother observed that one of my children seemed not to act like the rest of the girls her age at a VBS.

I've never really shared my convictions about homeschooling and such on my blog because I feared offending someone who chooses not to home school. May I just vent for a minute here?

I have never told anyone that they were doing their children an injustice because they send them off to school for 7 hours a day to be indoctrinated by worldviews that are so far from Scripture they in no means can be called godly. I have never said this because I believe that every family should do that which God tells them to do. He has told my family to home school.

My goals are for my children to grow to be godly adults, not normal people. One of my children has a tendency to stand off from the crowd and observe people before she jumps in the fun (just like her father does). One of my children jumps into social settings and makes a splash to be the center of the fun. One of my children chooses to set her own standard for fun and if others want to join in, that's great. My youngest is a ham and he hasn't quite figured out where he fits into social schemes. Every child is different. My oldest child went to public school for kindergarten and 1st grade. She acted the same way in those social settings as she does today. That is just who she is. None of my other children have attended public school, but I believe their personalities would follow them if they did.

My point is this: just because something pops into your head does not mean the Lord intends for you to speak it. It may just hurt someone. I try very much so to not be offended by any thing or any one. I guess today my dander got ruffled because someone chose to attack the very core of what I believe I am teaching my children to be.

I don't want normal children. Normal children are self-centered. Normal children act like their friends because they haven't been taught how to be themselves. Normal children lose their virginity before they are married. Normal children generally have no regards for God and His will for their lives. I DO NOT WANT NORMAL CHILDREN! (Please understand, I am not saying that all children who attend public school are ungodly. I am saying I am simply trying to be obedient to God's call in my life to home school my children.)

Yes, my children act selfishly, yes, my children make mistakes and are human. But my children are also the most precious gift God has given me and it's my job to bring them up in His Word. I want my children to find God every day and seek His guidance. I want them to have active lives of Scripture study and prayer. I want them to know that Scripture holds the answers to life, not a schoolbook. I pray they learn how to rely on the Lord for their daily bread. I want them to put Him above everything else in life.

If I have offended anyone, that was not my purpose. I pray you see my heart for my kids and understand that just as you must do for your family what you believe is best, so must I. Only for the glory of the Lord. I'm not sure I glorified Him today when I almost blew my top. Forgive me, Abba. May I honor You in all I do concerning the education of my children. May Your satisfaction be enough for my heart; I don't want to rely on the approval of others!

"Judge for yourselves whether it is right in God's sight to obey you rather than God." Acts 4:19

3 comments:

  1. Tracy, good for you!! I have a cousin whose wife homeschooled their three kids from kindergarten all the way through high school. They are exceptionally smart and precious young people. Elizabeth, the oldest is a doctor (who works in ER at Parkland), the boy has a mission field in Africa working with the underpriviledged over there and the youngest girl moved to Houston after graduation and attended some high faluting??? cosmetology school and then came back to Tulsa (where they hale from) and is over a fancy salon there. Don't know for sure but can't really say, but I think they have done very well for themselves. Each one has got their own beliefs and personality. You GO GIRL!!! JMaye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Janice! It's always nice to hear encouragement. Pray I didn't offend anyone. Thanks for backing me up. And may God bless you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. People - children included or especially - DO have their own personalities, from birth, that's just a fact and we shouldn't want or expect them to act like everyone - or even, 'someone' else. Near-sighted of the criticizer, I think, but hopefully (for her) she had good intentions. And if kids are 'lucky' - and have good patient loving nurturing parents - they get to keep and develop those personalities while bringing out the very best of themselves and their very own spark and individuality. That's a good thing! Not knocking public school per se, I believe it sometimes is the best or maybe only choice for some parents, but it does tend to force kids into a certain mold and way of acting and thinking if they're malleable, or if they're not, to rebel and not know how or have the chance to find or develop their very original personality and get to be their own wonderful unique healthy self.
    Viva le difference!

    ReplyDelete